Do you work virtually?
Yes, we work entirely virtually. This allows us to serve you no matter where you are located.
I’m not a dentist, can I still work with you?
Maybe. Our services are specifically designed to serve dentists (and their families) and the unique financial challenges they face. Send us a message so we can find out what your needs are. If we are not a good fit, we are happy to help you find a planner who is right for you!
My spouse is not a dentist, can we still work with you?
Yes! We understand that spouses are not very likely to be in the same profession. We will work with you both equally to help answer all your financial questions.
Do I need to have a certain amount of money to work with you?
No, because we utilize a flat-fee subscription model. We provide full service financial planning no matter how much money you have to invest. When you are early in your career, we don’t expect you to have piles of money lying around.
Will you help me figure out my student loans?
Yes. Together we will determine a strategy for the repayment of your student loans. Every dentist has a unique set of circumstances and we will help determine the most efficient repayment strategy based on your needs.
How do you get paid?
Roots Financial Planning is a fee-only firm, which means our only compensation comes from the services we provide to you.
Can I cancel our ongoing planning relationship?
Yes, you can cancel the relationship at any time. Fees are paid on a monthly or quarterly basis. If you choose to cancel, we will refund the portion of the month or quarter that remains.
Why do I need a financial planner?
Whether you lack time, skill, or discipline, you need a financial planner to stay accountable and be proactive. It’s easy to document your plan on paper, but if someone isn’t in your corner looking out for your financial well-being, it’s easy to get off track. It’s about creating a to-do list, getting it done, and then doing it again – life evolves, and so does your plan. Our goal is to give you confidence in your financial decisions and free up your time, enabling you to live a better, more fulfilled life.
Why should I work with Roots Financial Planning?
In our consultation meeting we will discover if we are a good fit for each other with regards to our planning process and personality. It’s possible we might not be the best fit for you, and that’s ok! We’ll help point you in the right direction if we decide not to work together.
Some people decide to do their own financial planning, but you may want to seek help from a professional if you:
- Want to better manage your finances, but aren’t sure where to start.
- Don’t have time to do your own financial planning.
- Want to delegate financial planning so you can spend more time with family or in your practice.
- Don’t have sufficient expertise in the areas of financial planning such as investments, insurance, taxes, or student loans.
What is financial planning?
Here is a list of topics we will cover over the life of our engagement:
- Identify ambitions and possibilities. Do you want to travel more? Retire earlier? Help your child through college with no debt? Acquire another dental practice? We will help you discover and fabricate your best life!
- Insurance. Dentists have unique insurance needs compared to the average citizen. Life, health, disability, malpractice, business owner’s, and personal liability to name a few. We review the policies you have to ensure that you and your family are safeguarded in the case of catastrophic events.
- Student loans. The majority of dentists graduate with student debt. We are here to diminish your worries about debt and create a repayment strategy designed individually for you.
- Taxes. Financial planning and taxes go hand in hand. If you are a practice owner there are even more ways taxes interact with your life. We look for ways to minimize current and future taxes within your financial plan. We also coordinate with your tax professional to ensure all the numbers fit into place.
- Estate Planning. A will, power of attorney, healthcare directive, and trusts are things we will discuss when reviewing estate planning. These documents are a way to protect your loved ones in case something happens to you. We will coordinate with your attorney to ensure your estate plan matches your desires.
- Investments. No plan would be complete without investing for the future. We take a look at where all your money is invested now and make recommendations if it is not aligned with achieving your goals.
- Saving and spending. We will review your saving and spending habits to determine what your current situation looks like. We ensure that you are saving appropriate amounts for the future as well as spending now in a manner that aligns with your values. We also look at any other debts you have to determine the most optimal payment strategies for your needs.
- Employee benefits. We review your benefits at work so that you are taking full advantage of what is offered. If you’re an owner, we will help you look at the available options and determine which ones best support you and your team.